DESTINATION: CHEROKEE STATION GASOLINE REFINERY

The Prairie Oil and Gas Company, a Standard Oil subsidiary, constructed a tank farm north of Ramona in 1904 and built the Cherokee Gasoline Refinery/ Pumping Station west of town in 1906. Prairie Oil opened a division office in Ramona in 1914, three years after the discovery of the Ramona Oil Field. The town prospered with many boarding houses, cafes, and supply stores. The Cherokee Station would operate until 1949.

 
×